Square Enix wasted no time getting back to the heart of the cards, revealing a new entry into the Voice of Cards series.
The publisher announced Voice of Cards: The Forsaken Maiden will be coming to PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and PC via Steam. It releases digitally on February 17. Players wanting to dive in will not need to play the first entry, Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars, as Square Enix says it is a standalone experience. Check out the reveal trailer below.
Voice of Cards: The Forsaken Maiden Announce Trailer
This new entry sees the player follow a new protagonist on an island protected by Maidens for generations. This character must save the people of this island as it faces the threat of destruction. This turn-based adventure unravels solely through cards, in the tradition of tabletop RPGs. Those wanting to experience the setting can download the demo for the first entry, Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars, on PS4, Switch and Steam on PC. You can also check out the first 15 minutes of it on our YouTube Channel here.
The talented team behind the Nier and Drakengard series returns for this new entry in the Voice of Cards series. This includes creative director Yoko Taro, music director Keiichi Okabe, and character designer Kimihiko Fujisaka. Fans of the team’s previous work can grab some Nier: Automata themed DLC. These include:
- Puppet’s Costume – An additional design for Barren, Laty and Lac’s outfits
- YoRHa Emblem – Replaces the design on the backs of the cards with the YoRHa emblem
- 2B Avatar – A 2B-inspired design for the player avatar, which can be used on the world map
- The Copied City Board – A Copied City-themed battle board and gem box
- Machine Lifeform Table – A machine-lifeform-themed design for the game table
- Resistance Jukebox – Allows you to change the background music to music that evokes the memory of the androids who fought to the death for the sake of humanity
- Pixel Art Set – Replace all character and enemy illustrations with pixel art
- Automata Dice – A Pod-themed design for your dice (available in North America and Asia only)
Voice of Cards: The Forsaken Maiden Screenshots
You can preorder the game right now on Nintendo Switch and Steam. Those that do will receive the “Whale of Fortune Pattern” and the “Ocean Tile Table” DLC. The former unlocks a card design featuring a legendary whale said to bring good fortune. The latter unlocks an ocean themed design for the game table.
Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars released on October 28, 2021. It released on PS4, Nintendo Switch, and PC via Steam. I played it and am currently looking to finish it. While the game isn’t comparable to Yoko Taro’s Nier series, it’s engaging enough to keep you wanting to see it through. Those that love a tabletop experience or being told a story will want to dive in.